Pages

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Then and Now


A good while ago now, I was told by some one with experience, "If you're not Asian, don't draw anime styled pictures". Wise advice. Why? Because most places will not hire you for work that everyone else knows how to do. Jap-anime has become an over done style. Like most people, I used to draw in a darker and kinda more detailed anime style. So, since recieving that advice, I had been busting my arse off to do westernised styled work and develop my own style. It was only last year where I went "Red Lantern" on some people that I discovered a fun, quick and straight-forward western style of toon/illustration. The image attached to this post is a comparison of how it used to be (2006, left) and what it is now (2009+, right).

The character style comparison is of Asuka Langley Sorhyu from tv's Neon Genesis Evangelion. Brilliant anime, if you haven't heard of it then you suck and you must Wikipedia it. I grew up with it in primary school and still hold it in high regard now. And even though she's a mega bitch, Asuka was my favourite character from the show.
I've had the sketch from 2006 saved on my DA account for a while, but the newer styling one I feel has that bit more...personality in it. What do you guys think?

No comments:

Post a Comment